House gutters are available in a variety of both shapes and sizes. This variety is called profiles. The open gutter is the commonly used gutter variant, used on homes all around the world. These open gutters are available in standard sizes, so homeowners can install them without the help of professionals. These types of gutters are also available in a roll of seamless gutters that will need to be professionally installed.
The most common sizes available for residential gutters are five inches and six inches. Gutters can be made of steel, vinyl, aluminum, zinc, or even copper and come in the standard “K” style. The five inch K-style gutter uses a 2×3 inch downspout that normally comes with the gutter. If you need a larger gutter system for your home, then the six inch K-style gutter is the right choice as it uses the 3×4 inch downspout.
Just 1 foot of the 5” K-style gutter can hold 1.3 gallons of water. While 1 foot of the 6” K-style gutter can hold nearly 2 gallons of water. If you need commercial guttering, box gutters can go up to seven or eight inches, larger if you need them. The larger the gutter, the more water they can hold.
Installing the Gutters Yourself
There are a few factors that affect the overall amount of guttering you will need; the pitch of your roof, the cut-outs you will need for dormers, gables, or perpendicular roof lines, and what type of material you have covering your roof. If you have experience doing the roof yourself, you could install your new gutter system and slope it correctly down to the downspouts with ease.
It’s always a good idea to consult with a professional before you make an investment on your gutter system if you have a complex roof line. If you have tiles or shakes that cover your roof, you may also want to rely on the knowledge of a professional as well.
Prices and Materials for Gutters
When pricing the cost of guttering material, it’s important to note that the actual final cost will depend on what type of gutter you want to use. There are four choices:
- Vinyl gutters – These are the least expensive gutters to install on your home. You can expect to pay $4-$8 per piece.
- Aluminum gutters – These gutters are a step up from the vinyl in quality however they are going to be more expensive. You can expect to pay $6 – $12 per piece.
- Steel gutters – These gutters are higher quality than the vinyl and aluminum and because of this, you can expect to pay $11 – $33 per piece, sometimes more.
- Copper gutters – These gutters are the highest quality that you can purchase in gutters. You can expect to pay $40 – $100 or more per piece.
When purchasing your new gutter system, you will want to purchase downspout extensions too. Like the gutters, these downspouts can also be expensive depending on the type of material they are made of. They can be as low as $6 or as high as $90+.
Professional House Gutter Installation
If you want to hire a professional to install house gutters for you, here are a few tips to help you make the right choice.
- Look for a professional licensed gutter installer that offers seamless gutters and possibly any solution for leaf protection, such as screens covering the gutters or gutter guards or gutter covers.
- Schedules a home visit
- Always verify that they are bonded/insured – ask to see proof
- Find out how long they have been in business
- Obtain a written estimate
- Check out references – find out what former customers have to say about their quality of work
- Verify the business through your local Better Business Bureau
At Gutters & Windows, we ensure that we customize it as per your needs and offer competitive prices. Call us for a no-obligation, free quote today.