Now, it’s worth pointing out that gutters have a very important task of driving away the water from your house. If they are clogged or malfunctioning, this function might be compromised. Keep in mind that regular maintenance may help you keep the gutters functioning in the right manner and prevent any further water damage. Gutters & Windows ensures that a team of expert gutters specialists are dispatched to your location as per requirement.
Why Do It?
There are a lot of issues which could be caused as a result of clogged gutters. Let’s take quick look at the most common ones:
Water Damage: Now, if your gutters and downspouts are working properly, they are going to direct the water far away from the structure of the house. However, if they are clogged, this could potentially cause water collection around the foundation of the house and, as a result, get right into your basement.
Loosened gutters: they could be caused by the excessive water weight in combination with other debris. With this in mind, this could lead to trim and side rotting because the water will be directed to your home.
Ice Dams: Freezing temperatures are nothing major; your clogged system could cause ice build-up of dams. This is water which flows over the gutter edges if it is clogged, and freezing, eventually entering your home. They can also become rather heavy and they can effectively rip the gutter off.
Vermin: keep in mind that clogged gutters can also be the breeding grounds for different bugs like mosquitoes, carpenter ants and even certain rodents. If they are already there, it’s only a matter of time before they find their way into the house.
The NCHH recommends that you should go ahead and perform gutter cleaning at least twice every year in the spring and in the fall. Keep in mind that it’s important to keep an eye out in order to make sure that everything is in line. Of course, the environment is also important. Thus, take the following in consideration:
- Woods – if your home is surrounded by many trees, your gutter might need to be cleaned a lot more regularly.
- Snow and ice – as we mentioned above, snow and ice could cause a lot of damage so make sure that you take this into account. It’s best to trust a professional as he has all the necessary experience and equipment.
Keep in mind that seeking professional gutter cleaning company advices in situations of the kind is almost always beneficial. .
DIY Cleaning of Gutters
It is incredibly important to make sure that you are safe while doing so. You are going to get up on a ladder so make sure to take all the necessary precautions. Here is what you are going to need to perform a proper clean-up:
- Gloves – guarantee the protection against insects and sharp objects.
- Dust Masks – clogged and dirty gutters are very dusty and you don’t want to breathe this in.
- Safety Goggles – this is going to ensure the protection of your eyes as debris might just fly back to your eyes.
- Ladder and a spotter
- Garden towel which could be used to scoop the dirt and accumulated debris.
It’s incredibly important to have your gutters properly maintained and repaired at all times, should you want to ensure that everything is taken care of perfectly.